Saturday, February 7, 2015

2/5/15
I am just out on watch on our way to Cabo San Lucas, Baja California Sur. So when we left Turtle Bay it was really rough conditions for around 12-14 hours, I cant remember exactly, and we would've been getting to Scorpion Bay when it was dark so we would've had to motor around until dawn so we just decided to go to Mag Bay. If I haven't explained we don't ever go into a spot we haven't been to before at night. We have read a lot about people reading things wrong and/or running into land or aground so we just make a rule that we don't do it. 
Side note our engine isn't starting great so we didn't want to shut it off until we got to where we were going and that sucked. We were worried about it starting when we left but after a few tries it did. We are again worried about shutting it off on the way to Cabo but we will if we get good wind, nothing so far. We will definitely have to get that looked at in Cabo which sucks but at least, for now, it is still chugging along.
The rest of the trip was ok, nothing bad like it was in the beginning but then we realized we would be pushing it to make Mag Bay by dusk so we decided to go in the nearer cove that is adjacent to Mag called Santa Maria Bay. We got there around 2pm on the ??? I don't remember and don't have my daily journal handy, I think the 1st. There were about 4 other boats and a very small fishing village. We didn't expect anything since we had read about it in our book but man it was bare bones out there. Well we couldn't wait to get off of the boat and it was close to 80 degrees so we went straight to the beach before it got dark. It is so beautiful there and no one was around. Just miles and miles of empty beaches that were covered with seashells and tons of sand dollars as well. So we just spent the day after at the beach, Paul went snorkeling and then we got together with some of the other cruisers. We had met most of them when we were in Turtle Bay so it was nice to see them again and have a drink. Then the next day we took our dinghy through these mangroves. It was nice but the scenery was a lot like California with desert and dry mountains so it didn't wow me that much. It was still a weird kind of river. Along the way we saw a few other make shift houses for the people who live and fish there. I could've stayed there a lot longer had we been able to get some produce. I didn't take too many pictures but here they are. 


Just anchored at Santa Maria


Empty beaches for miles

Oliver playing in the tide pools at low tide

Some of our fellow cruisers at our make shift happy hour





The black one is alive, I never knew they looked like that before they died and turned white


Moon rise, I have never seen anything like it
Whale tail

Whale and dolpin

Happy boy

Famous Cabo arch







2/6/15

Holy crap. We actually sailed all the way down Baja California, Mexico. I am just so happy and a little dumbfounded. We got to Cabo at noon. It is very warm, in the mid 80s which is fine with me I just want to get anchored and in the water. We went straight to the beach and swam, the water is cooler than I remember it being but fine for swimming.

2/7/15
I just got the worst news. A friend of mine and a brother of one of my best friends is gone. Please throw up a quick prayer or thought of peace to him and everyone who knew and loved him. The world will never be the same.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like you're doing well -- Looks Beautiful! Continued safe travels.
    I'm sorry you lost another friend. Too Young.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Connie, you know all too well how hard it is. I love you!

    ReplyDelete