Friday, February 27, 2015

2/24/15
We got a delicious breakfast this morning at a cafe then we wanted to get everything planned out for our day tomorrow. We are going with Paul's parents to take a nice boat to the island and go swim with sea lions, kayak and snorkel in all the little coves that have the aquamarine water. It is a big boat too so Oliver should be good. We went to the farmers market again and got some organic fruits and veggies and went to the regular grocery store for cheese and what not. Then we hung out in this beautiful park that was right in front of an old church and watched the people go about their day. We ended up relaxing most of the afternoon, Oliver took a nap and then we went to get appetizers and drinks at a new place we had never been before. When we went back to the boat it was really windy which was forecasted but not much fun to ride in the dingy because you get all wet trying to get through the waves.

I've been meaning to write about how La Paz, where we are, has a radio type net for cruisers. They do the weather, tides, any new arrivals or departures and they answer questions and what not. Paul finally got on there and announced that we were here and that he was a chiropractor if anyone needed his help. In Mexico you can't make any money so everything on there is for trade or 'coconuts' which is funny but it gets the job done. Everyone is so helpful and seems to be looking out for one another which is nice. 

2/25/15
It is really windy all night and into this morning. I didn't sleep too good because I was worried about dragging anchor, which is funny because it is usually Paul losing sleep. We didn't but it was loud and the boat was creaking. We were supposed to go to Isla Espiritu but when we got to the hotel the driver came to say it was cancelled because of the wind so we would go tomorrow. Paul and his parents decided pretty quickly they wanted to go to Todos Santos which had an art festival going on and is supposed to be really beautiful. It is on the pacific side so they were going to take a bus one hour to go over there. I decided to stay behind and have a day for myself. I hung out and tried to catch up on some emails before heading to the Sam's Club. I was told they had a Costco so I skipped the one in Cabo but then we got here and they only have a Sam's Club. I hate to support that company but we need a lot of a few things (bars, cereal) so this is going to have to do. I decided to try the city bus. Once I found the bus stop (it took me asking about 15 buses to find the one that went that way) it was under $1 to ride which is better than a $8 cab ride. We are always trying to save a little where we can. So after a half hour or so we got to my stop which was by a lot of shopping but I was on a mission so I only went to the big store. I don't have a membership but I figured I would figure it out when I got there. They didn't have anyone at the front door so I just walked in and got my stuff when I got to the checkout I told the guy I don't have a membership card and he went off to find someone and in the mean time this guy came over who had just checked out and said here use mine so that was awesome. Then I had to figure out how to get back, anyone who has ever been to one of those box stores knows you can't possibly carry any of that. So I found a taxi across the street and loaded it up. He took me straight to the dinghy dock so that was awesome. 
I stopped by my friends boat on the way out, they have a spot at the dock, we are anchored and asked if she wanted to go have a girls afternoon which she did. So after I dropped all my junk off I came back to meet her and we walked all around La Paz and went in the different stores. She even took me to an English bookstore where I got Oliver a few books. It was really cute, this couple from Washington just came down and never left. Then we got a few Margaritas and since the sun was going down I figured I better check and see if my family was back but they weren't at the hotel yet so as we were going to find another spot to have another drink we ran into them. I said goodbye and ew planned to meet up with her and her husband a little later for supper. Guess what we had? You know, it was very good and fun to try a new spot. Oliver played in the parking lot out back with some other little boy. I just love that everything is open since there aren't hardly any bugs and it's warm day and night. 

Part of the farmer market they have Tues and Sat
Oliver and his friend at the park

Giving Oliver a haircut

Swinging on the boardwalk

Dinner with other cruising couple (Christine and Erik) and Paul's folks

Oliver taking a picture of me at dinner

Oliver playing in the parking lot with buddy during dinner



2/26/15
Today is the day we head to the Isla Espiritu and I have diarrhea, we were joking about having it on the boat and how back that would suck and of course it happens to me. Still was a good day but spent some time in the boats bathroom, yuck.
We got picked up at Paul's parents hotel around 915am and after picking up a few other people we headed to the boat. Of course it looked nothing like they told us it would be but it was fine. It's just funny how relaxed they are down here. They take a lot more personal responsibility then we do in the states. I like it. There are so many sidewalks and things that seem dangerous but if you fall it's your fault, no one us suing anybody. 
Anyways…we leave and it's supposed to be about an hour and a half ride and not even 15 minutes into it the engine starts pouring smoke out the back so we have to stop. I am thinking great they are going to have to cancel today and it's Paul's parents last day to do this, arch. But no we just keep going, a lot slower, with one engine. 
We got to one of the coves and it is just like Balandra Beach with the aquamarine water but a lot deeper. We got our snorkel stuff and jumped in. Paul took Oliver in the kayak first. We weren't too worried because we figure we will just come back on our sailboat later. There was a lot of coral and of course tropical fish. I was surprised I thought there wasn't any coral left and there wasn't a ton but much more than I expected. It was a lot of fun and so beautiful. I got a little cold so I didn't stay in too long but everyone else went all over. 
During lunch we saw a humpback whale and a lot of dolphins. The captain decided to take us out to motor around the dolphins since they love swimming in the wakes. It was awesome. There had to be a few hundred of them in that pod and a lot of babies. Just to see them out there jumping and having fun in the wild never gets old. I got some good video but haven't quite figured all that out on the blog yet. Again…what do I do all day?!
Then we took off to swim with sea lions. We knew we couldn't go to the original place because of the engine but there was another. When we pulled up it smelt so bad. I think there were a hundred or so on the little island but most of the babies and moms got in the water right when we pulled up and swam to the other side. I let Paul go first since this guy said that this colony wasn't as used to swimming with people and they are still wild. So he went out with his parents and I took Oliver on the kayak. Once I got in I was pumped I was trying to swim up to them and spin around so they could tell I wanted to play (which I was told to do by another cruiser) well one of them came up to me and chomped his/her teeth down in my face and I was like maybe not. After that I was much more reserved but it was a lot of fun, they were super close. They would come out of nowhere and scare us half to death. I will definitely do it again once we are anchored at the island. Paul's mom, Connie told me that while we were out with the sea lions Oliver told the captain, "what a wonderful day". Cracked us up.
I almost forgot, Oliver came over after lunch after he had just been playing around on the back of the boat by himself (we were anchored) and he said, "I pooped on the boat." Then he just started talking about something else, I was like back up a minute and sure enough we look at the back of the boat and he had just pooped on the deck, a big old pile. I quickly ran back there and used the fin to scoop it up and throw it in the water. He was wearing a wetsuit and it was too big so it just fell right out his leg. Oliver pooped on boat and came over to tell me, had on wet suit that was too big so it just fell out. Paul's mom, 
When we got back we had them out on the boat for dinner and drinks, it was a great day.

Kayaking at the island



Oliver kayaking with Oma and Grandpamp

Dolphins

More dolphins playing around


Dolphins by the boat
Sea lion island/rock


After swimming with sea lions
2/27/15

I guess it is good we aren't on vacation since we (kind of) wasted another 3 hours looking for whale sharks this morning. It was only kind of a waste because we did have a great time with our friends from another boat and Oliver was awesome the whole time. Christine and I got in the water to try to swim with the dolphins that were all around but they didn't want anything to do with us. We got in a second time when a panga had their crew get in because they saw one but we didn't get to it in time. Then Oliver and I took an awesome nap while Paul did his boat stuff he needs to do before we leave. His parents were here all week, they left this morning so we had a great week with them exploring La Paz and hanging out. Paul still has probably a few days worth of stuff he wants to do before we can leave here and start exploring the island and what not. I think they said they leave around the end of feb so we may just miss them, I hope not I really want to get in and see them. I guess they are like gigantic carp fish lol.

sorry if lots of grammatical errors, I am sure you get the gist I was in a hurry

2 comments: