Friday, January 2, 2015

12/16/14
I did make my first meal. It wasn't so bad. Fajitas. But since then I have been going out to eat or cooking at friend's houses, it's just so much easier. Oliver only asked twice to go home and not to the boat so I think that is coming to an end.
12/17/14
I haven't slept on the boat since Thursday. We got back there and it smelt so bad I refused to sleep there. Paul and Oliver did but I left and haven't been back since, besides to pick up Oliver the next day. It smelt like poop/pee/rotten food if you can imagine. There was no way I was going to stay and sleep in that. So Paul has some work to do because I told him I would not return until it was better. It has been so nice staying where you can stretch out and not hit your head on anything and be able to cook. Adjusting to the boat is not going well for me. I think maybe I am just not cut out for living like this. It seems so weird that so many people act like it's no big deal, it's like they have never lived in a regular sized house before with modern amenities.
12/23/14
Finally a nice day. I honestly think this is the first warm, sunny day we have had since living on it. Luckily we spent most of the weekend at a friends house while Paul cleaned out the boat and fixed whatever was smelling so bad. It was nice to shower and sleep somewhere warm. But when we went back last night it was so foggy it was really eerie at the marina. I came in by myself and it was dark, foggy, and damp like a scary movie setting. I was a little freaked out but obviously made it ok. I mean we are not far from a federal correctional facility, like a few miles (seriously), and the port which is the second biggest port in the US so there is a little reason to be freaked out. The rest of it is old abandoned buildings, I am serious.
Across the street from the marina

We had just gotten back form the grocery store and dropping the car off to get work and I saw a woman who had just gotten out of the shower at the marina. I was like omg a friend! Some other crazy woman, how have I missed her?! So we started talking and she had 3 kids and her and her husband were taking their kids to Catalina island for a few days. We ended up going in their boat and the kids played together and we talked sailing and everything else. It was great! I think this is what sailing is all about, meeting people from different backgrounds and shooting the breeze. Paul took the guy to our boat and gave him some Latitude 38s we had, a magazine we love, and I stayed and had tea with the mom. It was lovely. We exchanged info and might even sail to Catalina with them before we go as a final test run. They want to go to Mexico too in another year or so. 
We are going to sell the cars so it seems silly to fix it but the check engine light was on so we figured we have to. I am hoping that will help us sell it quickly and a nice boost to our bank accounts before we head off to the great unknown, at least to us it is.
I am trying to be more positive about everything, I have agreed to do this I mind as well make the most of it. I know my blog seems so negative I am just trying to be real about it. I do not think it is as easy as people make it out to be unless you are used to living in a tent. 
Paul just told me he thinks our leave date is Jan 4, which is crazy since my last day of work isn't until the 7th. But yes, it will be by mid January so it is coming up fast. I am nervous and excited. I just want to be ready and I do not feel ready…a lot to do in the next few weeks.
12/26/14
Christmas was nice on the boat, even though we spent very little time on it. I have such a hard time getting into the holidays here because there is no snow and flowers are still blooming, it's just weird. 
The nights have been really really cold, we wake up and it's about 52 degrees which doesn't sound too bad but it feels awfully cold. Good thing the days have been sunny and fairly warm so we have been getting by. Paul has a few things to wrap up at the office and I got work off last night. I technically only have 2 shifts left, it's so weird to think. Scares me not having any income but I knew it was coming. I think we have plenty of room for our stuff which is nice. I bought food and need to start cooking on board a lot more.
12/27/14
Went out to sushi with one of Paul's patients, it was so good and fun. Later that night I felt like a little kid because Paul was basically putting on a light show to the music on the boat with flashlights we were so bored. It just reminded me of making your own fun as a kid when there was nothing to do. 
12/28/14
We had a great day. It was sunny and we have the heater now so the boat is nice and comfortable. We got the bathroom put together, Paul installed a few little hanging shelves and he built shelves in the closet so we can fit all of our clothes in it, it's so awesome! I am so proud of him, he just kind of made it up and it worked! I made tacos, which were delicious, and we took Oliver to run around at the mall before bed.

Closet before

Our new closet shelves!!

Oliver riding around with Jeff (and dog Maggie) at the marina

Sea lions sleeping on the dock across from our boat


Oliver making hot wheels track 

Reading, Oliver beginning to say don't take my picture




No comments:

Post a Comment