Wednesday, January 21, 2015

1/20/15
We left the Marina in San Pedro around 230pm on the 18th. A few of our friends motored out (on their sailboat) with us to Angels Gate which is the lighthouse that is the entrance/exit to the harbor we have been in for the last 2.5 years. I cried. It was really sad to say goodbye to everyone and especially my good friend Nicole who was there to see us off. There was some wind so we were able to put up the sails right away and our friends took some good pictures of us.



From left to right-Henry, Nicole, Lawrence (his boat) and Jason


Final wave goodbye

We were going around 6 knots for awhile then the wind slowly started dying as the sun went down. We ended up turning on the engine. I made some rice with chicken and vegetables for supper. The Coast Guard snuck up on us while I was cooking. They asked Paul for all his info and questioned him a bunch before they left. They said it was strange to be out on a Sunday night and then told Paul Mexico was dangerous, we were like ok thanks we have never heard that before.


Oliver and I all bundled up night sailing

I went to bed with Oliver since I thought Paul and I were going to take turns on watch but every time I woke up Paul said he wanted to stay up. I think he was all pumped up but also kind of thought he wouldn't sleep anyways because he thought I would crash the boat or something. I woke up a lot anyways, just checking on Paul and smelling diesel (super healthy I am sure). Oliver slept great. Paul seemed to do fine and was all happy and jacked up when Oliver and I officially got up in the morning around 630am. We were just hanging out around the entrance of the harbor waiting since it was so foggy we could only see maybe 100 feet in front of us. We had the radar so we were able to know what was around us but it sucked to have to sit there and wait. It was kind of errie just thinking about another boat coming out of the blue and smashing into us, knowing there would be very little we could do about it. Once the sun came up more it burned off pretty quick and we headed in.

Paul and the fog

The Fog 'burning off'

First view of San Diego through the fog

To get to where we were going to anchor was about 10 miles so we knew we had at least around 2 hours more of sitting to just get there. It was fun to look at the city and it didn't feel like it took to long but to me that's the hardest part when you are almost there. We got there and no one else was anchored so it was easy and only about 10 feet deep so we didn't have to put out much line. Paul still made me re-anchor before we left because he is always so paranoid about our anchor. I am always like yeah it's set lets go. Probably good we are not the same way with that.
I had a mini breakdown trying to do the dishes at anchor. I didn't do them then night before since Paul said he would then I was trying to do them while Paul took a nap and I was loosing it because there is no room to put the dirty dishes so I can get to the nozzle, then I am all worried about the fresh water so I am trying to do them in the salt with a fresh rinse and it was not very easy. That is the whole thing, nothing is easy! It drives me crazy. I was hollering I would rather be at work. Anyways we got through it and Paul only got an hour nap before our friend Sarah was going to pick us up and we needed to help her move some furniture. It was so great to see her, she was my first girlfriend in California and has lived in San Diego for the last 2 or so years so I don't get to see her hardly at all.
We dropped Paul off at the boat after moving stuff so he could sleep since he needed to catch up bad (I think he was up around 36 hours) and so he could be on the boat in case the anchor dragged, he is always worried about that. I told Paul he is going to have to get used to me being on watch. I can always wake him up, he can't do long stretches like that anymore, he agrees. He is just so paranoid. It worked out good though since I got to hang out with my girlfriend. The next morning we bummed around and Paul came to Sarah's house after he slept 13 or so hours. We went swimming at the Y and just relaxed. Paul got some of the paperwork we need for Mexico. Tomorrow we are planning on running some errands and leaving in the evening. It is only a 72 hour anchorage and it will only take us about 12 hours to get to Ensenada, Mexico so since we want to get there during the day we gotta leave in the evening. I am ready. I feel like we just gotta go.


Saying goodbye to some marina friends
Left to right-me, Jan, Oliver, Mark, Carlos, Sean and Paul

                                                     
Oliver tethered in (we call it his tail)



Remember when I would talk about the long walk from the car to the boat and what a pain it was. This is a picture of most of the walk with Oliver, of course, lagging behind.





2 comments:

  1. What a great start! SO hopeful all goes as smoothly as you head down here. Thanks for the terrific update! All our love, Gramma Barb and Grampa Ron

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW - You are really doing this. Excited for all three of you. Hope all goes well & you all enjoy this great adventure. We really like the updates & the pictures. Oliver is really growing fast & so cute! Love You - Please be careful.

    ReplyDelete