Monday, November 17, 2014

11/16/14
Paul went to meet the so-called 'electrician' yesterday and he had a bad feeling about the guy for some reason but he decided to go because he was recommended by a fellow sailor at our marina. Well Paul said he showed up and for the first 45 minutes he checked the batteries which Paul had already told him were brand new and that he had already checked them with a voltage meter but the guy insisted and why it took that long I have no idea. Then Paul told me he kept sitting down to talk and Paul would say to him, 'so what do we need to do now' to try to get him back to work. After that he switched a wire around that did nothing. So after a little over an hour Paul said this isn't working out thanks anyways for coming. The guy got all mad about Paul hurrying him too much and expecting him to fix it too fast. Then he tries to tell Paul he has a 2 hour minimum anyways and only takes cash. Paul told him that was never talked about before he came out and that he didn't fix anything or even teach Paul anything the whole time he was there. So then Paul had to stay and change the wire back and chalk it up to a complete waste of time. He will call a professional today and hopefully get them out this week. 
While Paul was doing that I was sitting outside our apartment complex, playing with Oliver, waiting for the people parked in front of our building to leave so I could take their parking spot. I had to get 2 of the 5 spots saved because the permit I got for those said they had to be right in front of our building. Although the containers will be delivered between 8am and noon and you would think Monday morning people go to work it should be no problem getting those spots that is not exactly how in works here in the ghetto. It took a few hours for me to get one then after Oliver went down for a nap I kept going out to check between laundry and packing and another one opened up right next to the one I already had parked in. Paul was at the boat dealing with that nonsense so I double parked it and went to the neighbors for help. They are wonderful people and they all know what is happening with our move so after a few knocks and phone calls one of our friends came out and moved their car into that spot for me. I was kind of worried after a few people weren't home because I have gotten into some arguments over parking spots here and didn't want that to happen again with me being double parked for too long.

The moving container comes this morning. I'm glad this week is finally here, the decisions have to be made about what is staying and what is leaving. I have to work tonight then we have to go over to our friends house right away in the morning, before I go to bed, to get a few big pieces of furniture that they so nicely let us keep there for the last couple weeks. Once we get those things in there it's just trying to get everything else in around those. I am really hoping we can fit it all into one container, if we have to use two it's another thousand dollars so it would be nice to save that. It's crazy how all these little things add up so much. I had to go to Target the other day to get: Benadryl pills and cream, insect repellant, tylenol for us and kids, ibuprofen, ace wraps, gauze, steri-strips, anti-diarrhea pills, anti-nausea pills, antibiotic cream, big bandaids, little bandaids, and a million other things we never use here but I would hate to be stuck without it if we do need it while we are out at sea. I also am making a kind of pantry so I have been buying plastic storage containers for dried goods and those things are not as cheap as I thought. I will try to look at the thrift stores but the few times I have gone I haven't seen any. I think about when we stop sailing and how if I spend all this money on stuff I will hate to leave it behind. I guess all I can hope it that we can make it back when we sell it but I think that is very unrealistic. It just seems like a never-ending list of stuff we need and I know we have been saving up for this but I can't believe how much it has already been. I read someones blog about shipping their stuff back after their sail and it was thousands, now maybe they had a huge boat or nice stuff, I am definitely not packing clothes I will miss or care about if they are wrecked because I believe that is inevitable. I am rambling, sorry. Between 8-12 today the box will be delivered…let's hope it's easy.

                                         
Oliver checking out the sea lion a dock over from our boat. Thankfully not next to our boat because they are stubborn and leave when they are good and ready, not when you ask them.

                                          The inside of the boat in its current state of disarray.


No comments:

Post a Comment