Wednesday, April 1, 2015


We were gone about 3 weeks and I wrote almost every day so needless to say this is long...very long


3/11/15

Right before we left La Paz I decide to sell my long board to the couple we met from Norway who are crossing the pacific and need one. I was sad, it was my first board and I rode it almost every time we surfed, but I'm glad it's going to get some use. I did however get 8000 books (yes Grandma 8000!) from them for my kindle so I am very happy about that! I think we took off for La Paz around 1pm and got there fast, we were able to sail the whole way which is really nice. When we pulled in we saw 'Molly' and 'Prism' and a few other boats but still plenty of room and not too crowded.
We ended up having Christine and Erik from the boat Molly over for supper, we hadn't seen them in over a week so we wanted to catch up. We made stir fry the are vegans or meat reductionist (I like that). We drank a bottle of wine with our meal then before we cracked another we asked the boat Prism we know if they were ready to hang out but they were just making supper so we had 2 bottles of wine before they even got over to the boat. 
We ended up with 8 people and a dog on our boat and we played dice and just laughed a lot, it was so awesome. Christine, who we love from the boat Molly, got so wasted and while they were telling the instructions to the game she was laughing and laughing and in subsequently made me laugh and laugh. Oliver went to sleep good but then he woke up a few times because of the noise, he told me he didn't like having people over to our boat. We made fun of everyone and their boats and everything else but all in good fun. The one boat has a red light they leave on at night and we used to say that it was the swinger boat and now we know them and told them (Prism boat). I wish I had taken a picture I did take video of everyone trying to get off of the boat so that was funny but I cannot believe I didn't take a picture. Oh well.


Me driving us out of La Paz


Red light on Prism at night (so they can see without ruining their night vision and probably because it looks cool)




3/12/15

We both don't feel great I have a hangover headache even though I stopped drinking way before everyone else. Paul is coming down with what I had with the sinus pressure and running nose plus being hungover. Oliver and I got up and played/cleaned up it wasn't as bad as parties I used to have but there isn't much room to mess up. I still cant believe we had that many people on our boat. All the sudden we heard Christine from inside the boat asking if we meant to anchor so close to the reef we laughed and went out. She bought a paddle board in La Paz so she paddled over and we laughed about last night and before you know it Shannon, John, Reed and his dog Ellie had all paddled over too so we all shot the breeze and talked sailing plans. There are 6 boats anchored here right now, it is so beautiful or at least it was for a few hours but now it is overcast so that is a bummer but being hungover and the hot sun isn't the best either. 'Molly' will leave today and we are hoping to stay for a few days but depends on the weather. When we had the people over they all had gotten a different weather report so everyone is making their own guesses. We don't listen as much as we used to because we have found they are so often wrong there is no point trying to plan your day by what they say. We will most likely leave here if the wind is right or wrong and/or we are uncomfortable. 



Most of the people who came over last night

3/13/15

Everyone left us but 3 other boats and we don't know any of them. We went to another empty, perfect white sand beach again today within Balandra Bay (there must be about 8 here to choose from). I wanted to hike to the top of one the mountains to take some pictures from above. It wasn't the easiest hike because there were a lot of loose rocks and cacti but I made it. It was so gorgeous up there I just don't think it's possible for us to sail anywhere better than this. After hiking around up there and taking some pictures I worked my way back down and wouldn't you know I stepped on a little cactus coming out of a rock crevice and I kept pulling the thorns out but they seemed to be multiplying. I had to take off my shoes and socks multiple times to eventually get them all out. So after I half slid, half climbed back down I went to find the boys. They had walked through the shallow water over to another secluded beach. Oliver and I found some sea anemones and crabs. Paul is still not feeling great so he mostly relaxed. We got hungry and headed back to the boat so we could make a greek salad we love. We drove around the coral reefs with he dinghy to check out the snorkel spots, it looked so good. The water is clear like a swimming pool and there are so many tropical fish and coral it's awesome here.
In the late afternoon our friends on Prism and Luna came back to Balandra. They had gone over one cove just in case the wind came up since it was a little more protected, we decided to take our chances and it ended up being fine for us so we were glad we stayed. 
They called us later and asked if we wanted to play the same dice game they had brought over the other night to our boat we declined but told them we had collected some firewood and were planning on having a bonfire later on if they wanted to come. We hung around the boat, played, ate supper and then headed to the beach to play and collect more wood before the sun went down. It was such a beautiful sunset, I took a million pictures. It was fun collecting wood and we ended up getting a lot for there being no trees. We mostly got dried up/dead plants. We started the fire and had music, we were having a great time and it didn't seem like anyone was coming so we were wrapping it up after being there an hour and a half or so and then as we were getting in our dinghy we saw them rowing up. We decided to stay a little longer. It was Luna's last night here and some new friends of Prism had just gotten in. They were all really nice and around 9 we decided to get back and get Oliver to bed. I always forget to take pictures when we are hanging out with our friends.  

Oliver woke up in the middle of the night and said his heart hurt but then when I asked him to show me he pointed to his throat. I was thinking he got what I had and what Paul's got. Mine has still hung on a little running nose but not pressure and no sore throat. In the morning he said he was fine and had no runny nose.


Yeah, this is real. Balandra from up top


Mousepad on the hook in Balandra


Boys down on beach 



Beautiful, random starfish at Balandra


Sunset just kept getting better




Oliver and I enjoying the last bit of light. You can see part of our burn pile on right




Teaching him fire safety or just playing with it


Modified happy baby yoga on the beach



Fire before our friends got there


3/14/15

Paul is feeling much better and Oliver doesn't appear to have any of what we got so that is a relief. We stopped by our friends boat Luna to say goodbye (they are 'bashing' back to California) then went to the beach. We got a palapa (free shade/umbrella things made from palm leaves) and Oliver found some nice friends to play with. Paul took him on a long walk out into chest deep water, he did great. Once we got hungry we headed back for lunch and naps. It is so beautiful here but we are thinking maybe of leaving this afternoon the anchorage has gotten very rolly with waves which isn't comfortable. 

Oliver hanging with the girls at Balandra

So we got back from our second beach run and it was rocking and rolling a lot so we decided to go. We left round 130pm and got to Caleta Partida (not making that up) around 445pm. It is a cove that is really tucked in so I think we will be totally fine weather wise, it is like a lake here which is nice. The sail wasn't so great. We mostly sailed in the beginning then motor sailed the rest of the way in. I made supper as Paul got us all anchored and everything put away up top. We ate together outside in the cockpit and then saw our friends on Molly pulling in. We had already seen Prism was here so it was an added surprise. We ended up going over to Prism's boat. It is only 33 feet but it is so nice and functional inside. It doesn't have a big 'living room' like ours but I would totally choose it over ours if we didn't have a kid. It is just beautiful wood too. It was relaxing and we left early since we have been having a lot of late nights lately.




On Prism boat with Jon, Shannon, Erik, Christine with Oliver, Paul and myself


3/15/15
I woke up so tired, I even drank coffee and can tell I am typing faster than usual but that just means more errors. Sailing rough seas always does that to me, I don't know if it is a dramamine hangover or just the constant muscle tension. Oliver slept almost the whole time but I can't sleep or even lay down below without being sea sick so I listened to podcasts (This American life is my favorite). I don't feel like getting up and doing anything good for me like exercising or cleaning up. The boys went for a ride on the dinghy since they have been up awhile. We want to go swim with the sea lion colony that is close to here but it is only a day anchorage and we would like to go with another couple so we are trying to figure that out. 
I am having a hard time believing in this today. I get the seclusion of the island but most of sailing is secluded so why come to this island where there is nothing when all you ever see is nothing. I even get loving this for a few weeks but it has been months now and the allurement is wearing off. Wow another secluded beach with a coral reef and green water, who cares. I don't understand all of this. I am having a hateful day. I hate this. I just want to be at home where I can get a hug from my mom and dad and then go get wine with my girlfriends. I know I sound like a 2 year old with a drinking problem.
This was a bad day for me. I mean it was kind of nice I got to have the boat to myself for a few hours but bad in that it didn't at all feel like enough. I am over this trip.

Tomorrow will be better, it has to be.


3/16/15

My mood ring is still a filthy brown today. I have just had it. We sat most of the morning trying to figure out how to call it quits. Paul wants to go North and I want to go back to La Paz. I know we are going to lose a lot of money on the boat so I prefer we just sell it for cheap and get it over with. People aren't supposed to live this way. I was kind of feeling bad for not being able to suck it up longer but I sucked it up for a long time (2 months on this trip so far, 3 months living on a sailboat). We are basically living in a small RV but one that rocks and rolls and makes you feel sick. When you want to leave you have to do a lot of work to get another smaller boat ready to get onto land (the dinghy). Hauling everything you need (groceries) long distances and then trying to keep it long enough to eat. Yes I know physically I can do that and I should just be grateful just for that but I am not in the mood to be grateful today so bare with me. No restaurants if you don't feel like cooking. No friends if you feel like socializing. No family if you want to just relax on a couch. No babysitter if you want to go on a date…you get my point. I think this would be good if I were really rich to fly people here or had rich friends that could fly here. I need a break from this oh and a shower. I think I am going to grown natural dreadlocks at this shower to filth ratio.
Of course he convinced me to stay another day. We went to another beach that was cool and then another also cool and beautiful within this same bay. I got a huge shell and found some old dead coral, lots of beautiful pieces. We told our sailing friends our plans you could tell they totally get it but were sad (probably for Paul). He wants to go up north and I want to go back to La Paz. He keeps saying it's only 3 more months which in the grand scheme of things isn't that long but does anyone (who is a sane woman) want to camp for 6 months straight with only their husband and children and no friends? I didn't think so.


Caleta Partida, coming into the bay




Giant shells at secluded beach


Another beautiful beach (around the mountains from Caleta Partida, we took the dinghy, it was a 15-
20 min ride)



Panoramic, hard to see but anchorage on left and other side of island on left. It had a little 'river' that went from one side to the other


3/17/15

Feeling more positive today (thank goodness). We got ready to go early in the morning so we would have time to play at our new destination which is Isla San Franscico about 20 miles away.
When we starting our sail I thought why are we skipping swimming with the sea lions that seems crazy to me. Paul thought we didn't need to since we would have to go alone and we already did it but I disagreed. So Paul was like fine I can drop you off I was like great. So we changed course, just a little, we were passing right by it anyways. So as we pulled up we saw 2 other boats but no sea lions even with the binoculars but as we got closer we heard them barking before we saw them and realized how they just blend right into the rock they call home. So he motored me in as close as he could and I jumped off. Poor Oliver was crying for me not to go which was funny because right before I jumped in he was like, "go mom just jump" when I hesitated because no one else was in the water and it was like 80 feet deep. But I did it and it was great. The first one I saw was coming at me like a bullet and I was like great, this is it but then it veered off when it was a few feet away and never came back. There were 2 or 3 swimming around at first and then I didn't see very many. I could see them all laying on the rocks, little pups, probably like 50 or more of them and 100 or more big sea lions but they were all napping and/or barking at one another, it was really loud. After a bit I saw one near the surface of the water so I went under and I could tell it really wanted to play with me but I was too scared. Thinking back and watching the video it had nothing mean about it and I am sure it has played with other humans before but I just couldn't do more then wiggle and wave. I have heard they like it when you dive and spin with them but since I was alone all I could think is it is going to fall in love with me and drag me down until I can't breath or decide I don't belong and jab me with it's head, morbid I know. Anyways it hung around for awhile and was very cute and sweet and then left because I am sure I bored it. A few others came near, a small one but just to look and leave. I did see a lot of big and little fish but some of the big ones were 1-3 feet long and round. Paul said they were grouper fish, I don't know. After that 3 people jumped in and I tried to say closer to them but they were paying a guy and I don't think he wanted me around, oh well, it just made me feel safer knowing I wasn't the only one in the water. I stayed in a little while longer, probably a half hour total and then I waved to Paul and I swam out into the channel so he could pick me up, I did not put my head back in the water, I did not want to see what was below me at 75-100 feet deep. I know what sharks eat (sea lions) and I was dressed up like one right by one of their colonies, alone…seems like an ideal catch to me. Luckily I made it. I have been trying to have a motto of I am afraid but going anyways. It is something like that and I like it. I just kept repeating that. Acknowledge the fear and keep snorkeling/swimming/sailing/ect.


The sea lion colony home


On closer inspection you can see there are tons of them in this picture they just blend so well



That little red dot in the water is me


Swimming back to the boat in VERY deep water

Then we had probably the nicest sail yet which we needed or I needed. I didn't get sea sick, I even took a nap, so did Oliver. We made it to Isla San Franscico around 230 in the afternoon. It is on the cover of many of the Sea of Cortez books we have seen. The water is a neon blue and the anchorage is like a crescent moon. There are 11 other boats here so it is tight but not too bad. 


Oliver taking a nap while underway

Oliver and I got right off the boat and went to the beach while Paul washed diapers and did what he needed to do with the sails and everything. There are a ton of great shells here, it's hard not to be greedy. We played and Paul snorkeled over after a bit then we all went back to the boat to make supper and relax. I think we will stay tomorrow and leave the next day.




3/18/15

It was rocking a lot last night, so both Paul and I were up multiple times, it was hard to sleep but not the worst. I got up with Oliver around 615 and then Paul got up an hour or so after. We went on a hike up this mountain/hill which was pretty nice. It was difficult but not like the one at Balandra, this had an actual trail and no death rocks waiting for you to slip. We were able to see the other side of the island which is so different from the side we are on. Our side is so blue and beautiful with a white sandy beach and the other side is all dark, the beach and water (yes I know it is much deeper). We took a lot of pictures, I hiked up further than the boys since the path got narrow and Paul is not the biggest fan of heights. On one side it was a pretty for sure drop to your death and then the other you would go down a way and get beat up but probably not die. After that we walked all the down to the point to check out this nest we saw on the lighthouse. On the way we found this tide pool gravesite. There were hundreds of dead starfish, sea anemones and other tide pool creatures all dried up. It made me wonder why that would happen. How would they not get out. I guess maybe the tide used to get up that high and then it started not and the tide pool dried up. It was sad but so pretty. 
After lunch Oliver decided he didn't want to nap so we got up and after an adjustment from the best chiropractor, Paul, went to spear some fish. He ended up getting two of them! One Trigger fish and one we aren't totally sure. He cleaned them and put them in the fridge and we all headed back to the beach. It is so strange, there are like 10 or more boats here and not one person on the beach or swimming in the water. I mean this is the most beautiful, clear water I just don't get it. We saw one couple walking on the beach but they walked away from where we were. Just seems weird, we have been here for 2 days and no one swimming or relaxing on the beach. Anyways, we enjoyed it for them. We swam around and then headed back to cook up the fish. Paul cooked the Trigger fish in oil and garlic, it was great. We had it with some rice and asparagus. Since Oliver didn't sleep and I didn't get enough last night we went to bed around 7.



The chart says we are on the island not in the cove...that's reassuring



Paul's catch, the one on the left is the trigger fish



Hiking nice trail at San Fran



Panoramic from top looking on one side is cove we are in, other side is the other side of the island lol


Such a beautiful anchorage


3/19/15

Oliver and I went to the beach to play while Paul got the boat ready to go. I am going to miss Island San Francisco it is definitely one of my favorites. We left around 945am and got to Punta San Evaristo at noon. It's a little fishing village but has a school and little market (we have heard). Our friends on Molly pulled in an hour or so after we got here so that was nice to see. I took a 'shower' with our sun shower which is basically a black bag with a spigot that you leave in the sun. It works fine but is not the real thing. I definitely feel better, it has been 8 days since my last real shower. We go in the ocean everyday and I am not one to wash my hair everyday anyways but my hair gets so dirty it goes past looking dirty and almost seems clean again. 
Paul was worried when we first got here because we were only in 8 feet of water and then the wind shifted and we were in in 5.5 feet but I was like it's fine, quit worrying about it (which is often my advice). Christine and Erik from Molly rowed over and we had a beer with them before Erik convinced Paul we were anchored fine so we went on land to explore together. We found out the person who owns the store went to La Paz to re-provision and it will be open tomorrow, not sure what time. Then we went over to the restaurant and had a few beers then ended up ordering food. We got so much fried fish we ended up bringing enough for 4 more tacos home, chips, refried beans, cucumbers, lettuce, pico, and shells for $28. Oh and 6 beers and a soda, we just split it since it was so cheap and the guy was so nice, again it was just his house with a few tables outside. He had a dog named Bobby who looked kind of mean, like a lock jaw type dog but he ended up being so sweet and Oliver played with him for hours while we hung out. The dog liked to dive for rocks so he would bring them to Oliver or whomever and then dive under to where you could just see his tail until he found it. Sometimes when he couldn't find it he would stand up straight and kind of be paddling to keep his balance but feeling around the bottom with his feet. It was so cute. At dark we walked back to our dinghies and said goodnight. Oliver was exhausted so after he went down Paul and I watched a movie. 



Oliver running up to restaurant, dog Bobby on the beach



Dinner with the cruisers


For never showering we don't look so bad, from far away



3/20/15
We still have a lot of food but not any fresh (or canned) fruit or veggies and that is hard especially since that is what we are used to. Our friends on Molly have gone 3 weeks since their last provision I don't know how they do it. She is a lot tougher than I am. Oliver slept in until 8am which was awesome! Then we got up quick since we knew the store would be open and I wanted to get there before it was picked through. So we got on land a little before 9 and I got oranges, apples, cucumber, tomatoes, bananas, bread, eggs, milk and some salsa. By the time we were done a lot of people had shown up so I was glad we got there when we did. Oliver and Paul sat outside attempting to visit with the Mexicans who only spoke spanish. They were so nice and kept trying to get Oliver to take a picture with another little girl but he didn't want to. We brought everything back to the boat and unpacked it then went back on shore to meet Christine and Erik (from Molly boat) to go for a walk/hike. Before we left we stopped back off at the store and Oliver handed out some lollipops he had to his 'friends' he met while I was shopping, it was really cute. We ended up going back over a hill on one of their roads and seeing an old salt evaporation pans and then walked over to the beach which was all rocks and agates, we collected some and then just sat around talking. We saw a graveyard which was interesting how they marked a lot of them with old shells and rocks. When we were walking back it looked like a storm was coming over the mountains so we hustled back and sure enough about a half hour later it was raining with a lot of thunder and some lightening. We sat in the cockpit and watched it. Once the rain stopped, about an hour or two later, Paul and Oliver went with Erik to help him haul water back to their boat and top us off. I guess when they were pushing off of Erik's boat Oliver was standing and went right over but they grabbed him right away and he didn't even make a fuss. They dropped him off with me and he kept telling me he was drowning but that is what the guys told him so it was kind of funny. I actually did a cross stitch pattern today which I have been meaning to do forever. I bought all this stuff before we left and haven't touched it until today, it is a good way to kill time.
Our Italian neighbor invited us over to their boat tomorrow for homemade pizza so we will be heading over to Isla San Jose to get some of that and hang out with them. This place has really nice people but the beach is not that great and we are ready to go.


The whole store. Costco smoshco


Christine paying the man. Can you see the ancient scale he uses. But hey, it works





View of anchorage from North side


Sitting on the beach collecting pretty rocks
Erik, Paul, Oliver, Christine




The whole graveyard



Salt pan, not used anymore



That's where we are and that is the main road


3/21/15

Man I wish I had internet, just to touch base and download some songs. I think it will still be awhile. We went to hike the other 'end' of the town with Christine and Erik before setting sail. We left at noon to head to Isla San Jose but more specifically . We just couldn't pass up on home made pizza and talking with a guy who knows his stuff. We pulled in at 230. It is so nice to be on one beach in the morning and another in the afternoon.
This place is not in our Sea of Cortez book which is kind of cool because no one comes here. The guy Anthony has been coming here for years and he said he rarely ever has seen another boat stop.
When we pulled up Oliver and I went to the beach while Paul got the boat put back together and made brownies to bring over to our new friends boat. 
We went over to the boat Mandalay around 5 and I was floored. It is so beautiful. It is a floating house. A really nice floating house. I took a few pictures. Their companion way which is usually a ladder or a few steps like ours but they had a fancy stairwell. It had room for 8 to sleep comfortably, 9 if someone slept on their couch. 2 bathrooms, 3 vanities, and a shower. I am so jealous of people with showers. Then we had wine, salad, homemade pizza and brownies. It was the best meal I have had in a long time. The company was great too. They are a very cool, nice couple. It's always fun to hear a couples story. We ended up staying until past 9, Oliver was a champ. 




I had to get a picture of their stairwell into the boat, I have never seen anything like it





Bonita, Anthony, Paul and myself (Oliver didn't feel like it)


Mandalay, the boat we had pizza on


3/22/15
I had a headache in the morning from the wine last night I would guess. I wish I could drink more than I can. I know that sounds stupid or weird but I wish I could have a few drinks, not even getting drunk, without having a headache in the morning. 
Paul and Oliver went to the beach and explored and then when Oliver and I had a nap Paul went out spearfishing and got a parrotfish. They are really beautiful with all the colors. Molly got to this anchorage today too. 
In the evening we invited everyone to a beach bonfire since Paul and Oliver had collected a lot of wood while they were playing earlier in the day. We roasted hotdogs and we brought a few different kinds of chips and chocolate popcorn to share. It was really nice, super calm so the smoke from the fire went straight up. Everyone knew a different castellation so we shared those and then we heard a big blow from a whale that had come into the cove. We couldn't see it but it was awesome to be sitting there hearing it (or them) taking their breaths. I haven't seen any whales in a week or more, Paul said he has though. We also hear and see a lot of the rays that jump out of the water. At night you just hear a little bellyflop sound.




Erik, Christine, Anthony, Bonita, me and Oliver at the bonfire (which is in the lower right, we obviously weren't sitting too close)




3/23/15

We went for a good hike and played at a few different beaches (there are so many if you just go around the corners of the different coves). The water there was pretty dark I am not sure if it was the rocky bottom or what but I didn't want to swim, too eery. We were also told there were barracuda here which is no big deal as long as you don't have anything shiny on, if you do they will tear you up…comforting.
I found the whale vertebra Anthony told us about, that is really cool. Paul was saying he wanted one but I never thought we would find one. 

3/24/15

We left at 730am to head to Puerto Los Gatos. We motored the whole way (and Paul was worried about the wind). It is beautiful here, we got in around 1230pm and the second we got anchored I jumped over. The water is warm and perfectly clear with red rocks most of the way around. Our friends on Molly were here so they paddled over and then I went snorkeling with them while Paul stayed on the beach with Oliver. After we got back Paul went out to spear fish/snorkel, he got two fish. We then took a shower with our bag of fresh water and had them over for supper. They brought everything, we had gnocchi with spaghetti sauce and these bread crisps I had and they brought some good wine. We sat around until Oliver needed to go to bed and then they headed home and we went to bed, it was a great afternoon.


Oliver and I walking/hiking the red rocks


Biggest puffer I have seen thus far, glad it was dead


Christine and I going snorkeling (Gatos)



Dinner and drinks on Mousepad with Christine and Erik



3/25/15


We went walking around the red rocks and then got set up on the beach. I went snorkeling with Christine on the other side of the cove which was really good until we got closer to the open ocean then it got kind of murky and that freaks me out so we went back. Christine is a lot braver than I am when it comes to snorkeling. I need to figure out my video editing so I can put up some videos…one of these days. The the guys moved the boats closer to the north end since they are predicting strong north winds and we don't want to get rocked around if that happens. A lot of boats had left so we wanted to move them before other boats came in. There are pangas that came and set up a tent with food and then a bunch of tents for these kayakers that come down the Sea. It's funny though, I bet these people tell their friends and acquaintances that they kayaked down the Sea of Cortez not saying that every day they have some Mexicans going ahead of them getting their food prepared and their tents and what not so they don't have to do anything or carry anything but their kayaks and water. It sounds a lot harder then it actually is. I still wouldn't do it. Kayaking is ok but nothing I would want to do for more than an afternoon. Anyways…another great day just snorkeling, swimming and playing at the beach. We hiked along the rocks over on the other side of this cove which was fun. Oliver loves to see the crabs and these nasty looking centipedes/cockroach things that live on the rocks. Then we had them over for vegetarian tacos and everyone was in bed before 9. We are starting to run low on food (but far from starving), will be out of produce by tomorrow and I think it may still be a week before we have a real store and internet. I wish there was a way to tell everyone we are safe and having fun.


Panoramic from water of Gatos, doesn't look like much but in the top 3 




3/26/15

I made some scones this morning and we invited Christine and Erik over to share then, as usual, we headed to the beach. I was invited to snorkel out past the point but I get nervous going out that far and deep so I passed, I have the last few days so was ready just to relax. I did borrow their paddle board and take that around one of the rock reefs, you can almost see as much as when you snorkel. After that Paul went out spearfishing, he got 2. I took Oliver back to the boat for lunch and a nap. While he napped I did some more cross stitching. I made up my own sayings/patterns so we will see how they turn out. When he woke up we went over to the south beach we hadn't been to yet. I was beautiful, it reminded me of Balandra with the white sand and shallow, clear water. Paul stayed behind to work on boat stuff but Christine came with. We walked down the whole beach and out onto these rocks that were covered in barnacles so they were hard to walk on but there were a lot of tide pools so Oliver stuck his finger around a ton of sea anemones. When we walked back Erik had rowed over so we played some frisbee and then walked on the rocks by the water and that is where we saw a blue footed booby bird (that is it's real name). I had heard you can see them here or even further south but I always think of them in relation to the south pacific. It was really cool to see and it let us get within 2 feet of it without flying away. Paul swam over and we rowed the dinghy back (we are trying to row more rather than use the gas motor). We got the boat ready to go since we want to leave tomorrow morning and Paul cooked up his fish with some rice.


Borrowing the paddle board




Blue footed Booby


3/27/15

We left Puerto Los Gatos at 745am and got to Bahia Agua Verde at 1230pm. It was a little tricky coming in because you have to go all around these reefs you cant see (because they are under water, you knew that), so you just trust the guide book. There are quite a few boats here so it's a good thing we got here when we did. Oliver went down for a nap right when we got anchored so Paul and I went for a swim off of the boat. It is really hot, a little over 90 degrees with no wind. There are a lot of these tiny black bugs that don't do anything but are really annoying (I gotta find something to complain about).
Once Oliver got up we were heading into town when this guy on his sailboat flagged us down. He was freaking out because his boat was taking on water and no one was responding to his calls on the VHF. He said he thought he knew what it was but was too fat to get in there so Paul hopped aboard to help and I told him I would run back to the boat to get our portable VHF so he could call us when they were done (or if they needed me to get more people from other boats). By the time I went back to the boat and stopped by to tell Paul the channel I would leave the radio on they were almost done so we waited. Paul was not only able to squeeze in there but figured out the problem. The guy was so grateful and I know Paul was just as pumped that he got to be the hero. He told us that when we get to the next stop he would pay for us to stay at one of the mooring balls. Then we headed to one of the beaches that looked to have the 'town'. We first walked all along it to see this other little cove that I guess you can anchor in but it would be a tight squeeze and no one was in there today. It is not the best beach here, it is all rocky with dark sand but I know I shouldn't whine. It's just hard when you come from a place like Gatos where it is so nice. Anyways then we heard there was a 2 year old girl down the beach camping so we went to check them out but she was sleeping. This couple is a million times crazier than we are so just be thankful we aren't cyclists. They have come from Alaska on there bikes with a 2 year old. Yeah, do I need to repeat that?! 2 year old on a bike from Alaska. They are planning on going to Argentina and have been on the road already for 11 months. We didn't stay long since we know how precious that time can be when a mom and dad get time together while the child is sleeping but I hope to get more of the dish on them tomorrow. We went to the restaurant that is a women's collective and had fish of course. It was so good and they were so nice. They fry the fish in a metal trash can with wood in it with another big metal pan on the top, it is amazing and works great. It really makes you rethink all the stuff we have in our kitchens and lives really. So much we don't need. I have also realized we haven't washed our 3 beach towels in almost 3 weeks and we go to the beach like every day. One is getting pretty spent but the rest are fine. After we ate we took a walk to town and got a few pears and apples from the store. We saw a pigpen so we stopped to see them, they are so cute. We kept walking and some kids coming back from the school asked if I had apples I said no but peras and asked if they wanted them which of course they did. As they left I could hear them making fun of my spanish, stupid kids (just kidding). We walked back to the beach and Oliver ran around with some of the local kids before we headed back. On the way we saw all these goats walking along the cliffs.



Walking around beaches to south cove Agua Verde




Walking around to other cove



Lots of turkey voulchers here


South cove, lots of tide pools, no one anchored here (we should've)



View of north anchorage from south one



Walking down road to town



Saw pigs in a pen on the walk through town

Mountains are so lush and green here, it is so much nicer to look at



Sitting in restaurant studying my spanish. Behind me is trash barrel they cook the food on


Goats on cliff

3/28/15

Lazy day. We went to one beach and met a couple our age on a sailboat so we talked with them for awhile and invited them to our boat for happy hour later. Then went to the other beach near the village to play with the little 2 year old girl before nap. Paul and I swam off of the boat again. It is so hot as soon as my skin dries I feel like I need to jump in the water again. I think it is only 90 but with no breeze so it is stifling. 


2 year old girl who is on the bike trip (Kayla) She did a lot of pointing since she only speaks French



I walked into town to get some fresh tortillas and luckily they had just been re-provisioned so I got some more fruit and veggies. Our new friends Pam and Erik came over for a few drinks then we went in to eat at that co-op restaurant that is run by a group of 10 women again. It was so good and we got to hang out with this Dutch couple who has a sailboat and another couple going down baja in a camper truck thing. It always ends up everyone pushing and pulling the tables together at dinner. It is really nice maybe we should start doing that in the states. Everyone has something to offer. The worst thing I have thought about anyone we have ended up having dinner with is that they talk to much.



Dinner with Dutch couple (can't remember names but very Dutch), other friends from sailboat Emma Bell and taking the picture is couple doing RV trip


3/30/15

My computer has been not working but basically we went Puerto Escondido and stayed there on the boat since everything was closed (by everything I mean the tiny store and bathrooms with showers) and we had no internet we waited until the next day which must be Monday and got internet from the little store. So we talked to a few people, (they are almost friendly to a fault) all these sailors who mostly live there. We got a taxi from the boat to Loreto which is about 9 miles and the guy charged us 400 pesos which is like $28 usd I was pissed but what are you going to do. We got there and he said he only does round trips so we knew we had another 400 gone for Paul and Oliver to get back. I am going to take a night to myself so the boys can clean up the boat and what not. On the ride we saw a car that had hit a horse, I think it was dead it wasn't moving at all.
We went to the grocery store we just found on a walk and Oliver got one of those little kid grocery carts and it was loaded and he was running around the store and he tipped it over and it was so funny as he was cleaning up and a store worker was helping he was saying, "Im so sorry, muchas gracias" over and over it was so funny. He obviously hears us saying thank you all the time. He is picking it up. Paul was able to figure out it was my keyboard that was broken after being in a chat with the Mac people for an hour or two and so he found one which is awesome because my computer works but sucks because I have to carry around an extra gigantic keyboard with me to type. Oh well I am thankful.


My new set up


4/1/15

On my free day I watched tv (what I could find in English), went to a coffee shop to get faster internet than the hotel, walked around the mogote, which is like a boardwalk along the ocean, got some bad chocolate cake, went grocery shopping twice to two different stores, drank way too much coffee and skyped some people I love (sorry I know I missed a lot of you, who I also love, the connections were terrible). I was so worried about wasting this day I was trying to do everything and mostly pissing time away. However it was very nice to just do my thing and not have to worry about anyone but I did miss them a lot.

4/2/15

I am in such a rush to get this blog up before I leave Loreto to go back to the boat I hope it turns out ok. I may have slow internet tomorrow but then we will be gone again, hopefully not so long, maybe a week or so depending on how much we like the island. I miss you all!





First Mission 1697 was the date on it. Loreto



Paul and Oliver walking through a beautiful street in Loreto


PS I just wanted to add that I have left my wallet twice and camera once in various places where I am sure I never would've found them but the people here are amazingly honest and kind and made sure I got them back. That would not happen in the states...well maybe but the cash would be gone.
PPS I will figure out how to edit videos and get some up. I am working on it
























2 comments: