Thursday, April 23, 2015

4/15/15
Oliver and I went to the beach to play while Paul hung around the boat. When we were on the beach we saw Molly going by, we were so happy. We had been trying to get ahold of them but they don't have a very high antenna so often they could hear us and we couldn't hear them. At nap time we pulled up the anchor and headed to Bahia Coyote. We got there around 2pm and Paul and Oliver went to see where they had showers and internet. When he came back and said they didn't I was so bummed. I was really counting on both of those things. 
Later I went to this little town across from where we were anchored to look around and see if I couldn't get some internet off of someones house. I couldn't but I did end up talking to these two old men about what I was doing and what not. They had me sit down and I had some wine and they let me email my parents quick. They also gave us a pizza and some pie, it was so nice. They told me they were going to town tomorrow morning and if we wanted to come they had room for us. I went back to the boat with the good news and that was all we did.


Little town




4/16/15
We went into town to catch a ride with Ron and Cathy I met last night but while we were waiting we went to talk to a lady who was having an open house on her beachfront property/house. It was 78k. Granted it wasn't like a house because the hurricane had blown their second floor off but it was livable (had a kitchen, living room and a lot of other open space they keep their camper in) and you could build up if you wanted to. It is beautiful there and not far from Muleje which is nice but I still don't think I could do it being so isolated, it would be really boring after awhile (to me at least). Anyways we went into town with them and they took us to all the grocery stores that were the best, they still are very small compared to anything in the US but they got what you need. After that we went to a Mexican restaurant they like and had a few drinks with lunch. Oliver has been toilet training really well lately so he enjoyed going to the bathroom at the places and getting little pieces of chocolate for his 'hard' work. We were gone for about 4 hours and just exhausted after that so we laid around the boat until we went to meet them for drinks at the restaurant near our boat that evening. We called Molly but they didn't want to go but wanted to hang out after. We called them over when we got back and ended up sitting around on our boat until 130am drinking and exchanging stories since we hadn't seen them in a week or so. It was great, we are so fortunate to have them. This trip wouldn't have lasted this long without them.


Cathy, Ron and Paul at lunch




Oliver found some girls to play with while we had cocktails

4/17/15
Everyone is a little slow moving this morning so we just hung around the boat until the afternoon when we met Christine and Erik on the beach to hang out. Paul and Oliver walked over to a horse that was tied up and fed him one of our apples, Oliver loved it. We all decided we were too lazy to make dinner so we went to get Mexican food at the restaurant on the beach and this couple we know invited us to sit with them. None of us were in the mood but what were we supposed to say so we did and they had already been drinking and it just wasn't a great dinner. They sat in the middle of the table so we were separated then were being obnoxious and it took over an hour to get our food. They are a nice couple but that night I was just looking to sit and relax with Christine and Erik so it sucked. Oh and Oliver walked off and we didn't notice until Erik went around and found him behind the restaurant with 2 big thorns in his foot crying for me. I was right behind Erik when he found him but I felt so bad. It happens so fast, I had just checked on him. Anyways he was ok and I guess he had followed a dog back there and he wasn't wearing any shoes. 


Random horse tied up on beach

4/18/15
We left the one anchorage for this little island that has a very small secluded beach. We didn't know until we got there if we could even anchor since there is only room for maybe 2 boats. It is white sand and clear water but small enough that we have to put out an anchor in the front and back of the boat where normally we just but one out in the front so we can swing. Shortly after we anchor Oliver and I go to shore where I am almost instantly stung or bitten by something that doesn't stop stalking me until I go into the water and start splashing like a manic school child. I don't see a stinger and it doesn't swell so I think it may have been a fly or some sort, I didn't get a great look at it just black on my leg and pain. We play and Paul swims in then Molly is pulling in. We all hang out on the beach and then like a switch the wind kicks up and Molly is rocking and we start thinking they might not be able to stay until tomorrow if it doesn't stop but they decide to wait it out for now. We hang out until nap time, Oliver and Erik go spelunking, a word Oliver now loves that means to explore caves or something like that. The flies are horrendous here real house flies and the little black annoying ones so we are happy to have some wind. We play on the boat until we go in to make a fire. I got stung by a bee on my hand on the way in, I couldn't believe it. I did have a stinger in that one so we flicked it out and I used this sting kit we just go and it seemed to help but it might have just been placebo. So needless to say this is my least favorite place bug wise. We have a great fire with Chrisitne and Erik and head back to the boat late to sleep. I also think something has been biting me or us at night and so it wakes me up and then I have trouble getting back to sleep I have bites that itch terribly all over my legs and 2 stings within 24 hours. Argh.


Oliver sitting on the bow on the way to the island




Coming to the island beach/anchorage





Picture of Mouse Pad from beach


Picture of island beach from halfway up mountain (cloudy morning)


Bon fire with Erik, Oliver, Christine and myself

4/19/15
We wanted to go find the whale sharks today that we heard were close by. We didn't really know exactly where though so we decided to both circle the island on our sailboats to look for them and then maybe meet up in a bigger anchorage to get in the dinghy and swim with them. We didn't see any from the sailboat but luckily Molly had ran into a trimaran who told them they just went over some with their boat so we headed over to anchor in that cove and go search. There were a few other boats out so we figured it must've been the spot then before long we were on them. It was a lot better than La Paz in that there were more of them and it was easier to see. I only got video so I have to get that up, it was so amazing. They are gigantic and just so calm and nonthreatening. We swam with them for a few hours then headed back to get ready to head north. We got to Punta Santa Domingo in the afternoon and went straight to the beach, well Oliver and I did Paul had some stuff to do on the boat. Oliver and I were swimming for a bit when Oliver started itching his legs really bad and was acting like he couldn't sit still. There had been a bee around so I wondered if he had gotten stung and was having an allergic reaction so I kind of freaked out looking for a stinger or anything but I couldn't find anything but he didn't stop so I raced him back to the boat just in case I had to give him a benadryl or start an IV (not really but that is my nurse mind going into high gear). We stop by Molly who was dingying in at the same time we were racing back and tell them really quick and even by then he seems a little better. By the time we get back to the boat he isn't itching so bad so I just grabbed an anti-itch cream and brought it with me just in case he got bad again. Lucky it was nothing serious because Paul had the boat torn apart pulling out all the anchor chain and rope trying to detangle it (how that happened I have no idea). We went back to the beach and Oliver and Erik went off on their own doing man stuff while Christine and I went to walk the beach looking for shells, this beach has so many you could spend a week or two going through them all. After we had enough beach we went in and made vegetarian tacos and had them over for supper and drinks. A good time as always. So weird to think we only have maybe another week with them before we part ways forever (or at least until we take a plane to go visit them in Portland, I have always wanted to go there).



Whale shark video from boat, it took WAY too long to try to download any other videos of us swimming with them but at least you get to see one. This is a small one.


4/20/15
Had Molly crew over for crumb cake and coffee then we both set sail when the wind came up around 11am. We sailed to Bahia Santa Ines, which is a little bay that has a hotel and a lot of beach. And Yes sailed the whole way, we were so happy it hasn't been happening much lately. Molly pulled in a little after us. We saw a whale shark right away so that's awesome we can swim with them here too. Oliver and I went to the beach and played around and Paul swam in a little later to meet us. We saw a huge hotel on the corner of the bay so we walked up to see if they had a restaurant or internet we could use. It was totally deserted. It was a little unkept but really a beautiful place, it seemed so strange to just be sitting there empty. After walking through it a bit it began to feel like the beginning of a horror movie so we headed back to the beach. Christine and Erik showed up and the boys went to look at the airplanes and Christine and I went to walk the beach. When we met back up the guys had found a restaurant on this woman's porch so we went to eat there. They told us they talked to a pilot who lived there and said the hotel opened but there was never any advertising and then it closed a few weeks later and they had heard it was just a place for the cartel to launder money. It makes sense. It also seems like a place only really rich people would vacation you know where no one else goes with a little runway you can land your private plane on. Who knows. So we ate a great supper, fried chicken, fresh veggies, beans, rice, tortillas, salad, and 8 beers for under $30 with a big 25% tip included in that. We were talking about how in the states you could never open a place on your porch with all the health codes and I understand they are meant to protect us but we have been eating in random people's houses this whole trip and not gotten sick once. Anyways, because of the wind today, which was great for sailing, the waves were tossing the boats around a bit but luckily we were so tired we all fell asleep pretty quick.

Empty pool at empty resort


More empty resort pics


One of the airplanes and the dirt runway



Sunset from boat


Ladies porch/restaurant 
(you could see and hear her son watching tv in the living room right behind Paul and Erik)


Finishing up supper/beers


4/21/15
I slept in since the sleep last night was not so great with all the rocking. Paul and Oliver went to check out the hotel again and I guess Oliver fell down a few concrete steps and he had a scrape on his forehead and quite the mark below his right eye. I felt so bad for not being there but I guess he was ok. He told me all about it once he got back to the boat and that he needed a bandaid because it hurt, no blood at least. The wind picked up so we headed out to sail. We had 22 miles to go to Santa Rosalia. Oliver and I played and watch some Life dvds. Molly left before us but we caught them and took turns taking pictures of one another so hopefully those turned out. We got to Santa Rosalia at 530pm after sailing most of 5 hours. I am so happy to be in an actual city that will have internet and stores and even a museum (I think).
We went and walked around for a few hours before bed, it is a nice place, I'm looking forward to spending some time here.



No comments:

Post a Comment