Wednesday, March 26, 2014


On Thursday morning, yikes tomorrow, Paul is going to sail the boat down to a place that is going to fix the bottom of the boat and paint it (not cheap). It's about 5 miles and he is going to do it by himself…I think. We haven't really talked about it but now that I am writing this I probably should go. We have only taken this boat out three times and the first time was when Paul and I sailed it down from Ventura and by sailing I mean motored because their was no wind AND it took us 13 hours. Yes 13 hours. Thankfully this boat is so much better than our last so it seemed more comfortable. The second time was with my mom and she got sea sick, so did I and I think Oliver was a little. Of course Paul had a great time. When we were leaving the dock a couple of the neighbor marina guys offered to help us and thankfully they did because we would've smashed into 1 or 2 other boats trying to leave our slip because it was so windy and we still don't know exactly how to get it out yet. Once we were out it was fine and getting it in is tricky because we only have a few inches on each side but we can do that no problem so far. This third time was last weekend with 2 of our friends that have a son Oliver's age. Luckily (for Paul) they are really into sailing so that helps get me out there. Unfortunately the same thing happened leaving the dock that happened the second time we took it out, we backed out ok but when going from reverse to forward the wind pushed the boat into the docks, thankfully not other boats but still…So we scratched the side of the boat pretty good but since we aren't into looks, just function, we should be just fine. I actually had to jump off the boat onto the dock to push us off then onto the back of our neighbors boat and onto the other dock just to get us off and we still scratched the hell out of the boat. Oh well, we are learning. I think we decided to try to back it out next time but that will probably come with its own set of problems. After getting it out the sail was good, there was plenty wind (about 20 mph). However, on the way home, Paul had the boat heeled so much I had to tell him the trip was over and it was time to motor. I mean it was as sideways as that boat will go (I was basically standing straight up with my feet on the back of the seats) and maybe that is fun if you are racing but not when you are trying to have a nice sail with your friends and small children. After he got the sails down my girlfriend and I went below and she thanked me. She was like, "I didn't want to say anything." We were only like that for 15 seconds before I told Paul to stop it so that's how uncomfortable it makes people feel. Oliver was sleeping and I couldn't believe he slept through that. Paul had to make sure to tell them that we could've sailed all the way back had I not pulled the plug…that's me, always ruining all the fun. We tried to reef the main sail (when you bring some of the sail down so it catches less wind) but something was wrong with it (weird…put it on the list) so it was an all or nothing situation as far as I saw it. We got in ok and they said they had a good time…we'll see if they come next time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment